Thursday, April 30, 2020

Bored Busters: All About Bees

Hello all,

We are temporarily reviving our Children's Blog to provide some resources for families who are stuck at home during this period of social distancing due to COVID-19. We will put together a variety of activities for you and your families every day at 1:00 pm. Watch for weekend Boredom Busters on Saturday and/or Sunday. See which ones you can do, and if you get the chance, share the results with us on any of our social media platforms, which will be listed at the bottom of this blog.

Today's theme is All About Bees!

The Importance of Bees: https://climatekids.nasa.gov/bees/

Bees are pollinators; they move pollen from one plant to another, which helps fertilize the plants that grow the food we eat, such as apples, oranges, pumpkins, almonds, and many other foods that develop from a flower. Without pollinators like bees, we would have to say goodbye to a lot of food that we love!


Bee Facts: https://www.coolkidfacts.com/bee-facts/

There are lots of fun facts about bees to learn!

- Bees make honey
- Bees live in almost every part of the world except Antarctica
- Bees eat nectar and pollen from flowers
- Bees protect themselves by building their hive in a hard to find - or hard to reach - spot
- As long as you don't bug them, they won't bug you!


Fun fact: this series pf photos were taken by me, in Sylvan Lake, a few summers ago. It had been raining, and this bee landed on m windshield. Its wings were wet from the rain, and it couldn't take off. I'm allergic to bees, so with the windshield between us and me safely in my car, this was the closest I had ever been to a bee without being afraid. I watched the bee for a little while as it used its legs to clean itself, and tried not to get blown away. I had to drive home, but I didn't want the bee to fly off my windshield, so I drove very slowly - about 15 km/hr.


The bee stayed on my windshield the entire time. I had to stop a few times along the way, and while I did I took some more photos. I couldn't believe I was getting such a close up look at this bee, trying not to get blown away before its wings could dry. When I arrived home, I watched the bee a little while longer. It seemed to watch me back. I moved my finger along the inside of the window, and he followed my finger across the windshield. It was such a strange experience, but one that has stayed with me for years.


I used to be terrified of bees. If stung, I could get very sick and possibly die. I know how to react around bees so they don't feel threatened and don't try to sting me. But this experience changed the way I feel about bees. I'm still calm around them so that I don't get stung. But it's a peaceful, happy calm now. Bees don't want to hurt us, and we shouldn't want to hurt them. We can co-exist, and be kind to each other.


This bee's wings eventually dried and it flew away. Off to pollinate more flowers and drink up some yummy nectar. I hope he lived a good life. And I love his little smile.


Bee Crafts: https://buggyandbuddy.com/15-bee-crafts-kids/

Bee crafts are fun to do, and get us thinking about these helpful pollinators.

Try this Yarn-Wrapped Egg Carton Bee! Or this Wooden Spoon Bee Craft!

This Heart-Shaped Bee Valentines Craft would make a a great Mother's Day present! Check it out!


Hopefully these activities help break up the day, and get your family engaged learning all about bees!

If your kids loved these activities, feel free to send us feedback or pictures on any of our social media platforms, linked below.

Library staff are available by phone (403-887-2130) or email Monday-Friday, 9:00 am 5:00 pm.

You can access all of our digital materials (eBooks, eAudiobooks, and more) through our website. If your membership is expired, or you need a membership, call us at 403-887-2130 and we can help.  
 
Facebook  
Twitter  
Instagram