Thursday, July 7, 2016

TD Summer Reading Club Week 1: Ages 2-6

Welcome to the TD Summer Reading Club of 2016! This year our overall theme is "WILD", so you can only imagine all the fun and laughs we're going to have into this summer! 
With 8 weeks of incredible and imaginative fun planned for the whole summer, there will never be a dull moment. There will also be contests and prizes running each week while we read and get "wild" all summer long!

Week 1: Welcome to the Jungle
For week 1 of our summer program, we visited the deepest depths of the jungle! We explored and learned about lots of new animals, like ocelots, marmosets and howler monkeys. Our question of the day was "If you could be any animal from the jungle, what would you be?" We had lots of great answers, ranging anywhere from sparkly pink cheetahs to flying tigers!

The first book we read was:

Then after that we sang "I'm a Grouchy Gorilla":

I'm a grouchy gorilla (Make a mean and pouty face) 
Big and strong. (Make a large circle with your arms and then flex one arm) 

Here are my hands (Show hands) 
And this is how I bong. (Gently bang hands on chest) 
When my tummy rumbles (Rub your stomach) 
It’s time for me to eat. (Bring fingers towards mouth to mimic feeding) 
Feed me leafy veggies but never, ever meat! (Shake your head “no”) 

I have large, sharp teeth (Smile to show your teeth) 
Good to chomp (Chomp lightly) 
If I’m feeling scared I will stomp (Stomp lightly) 
I like to make loud grunts and roars (Make grunting noise) 
Then kick my legs and bang the floors. (Lightly kick your legs and bang the floor with your hands)


The next book we read was:
Orangutanka by Margarita Engle 
After we finished the book the kids showed me their own orangudances! 

Then we sang another song, "Guess who!":
Growl, growl
Thud, Thud (slap floor)
Roar, roar
Who's that knocking at the door?

Pound, pound (hit floor)
Stamp, stamp
Scratch, scratch (scratch floor)
Who's that wiggling my latch?

Can a pig be at my door?
No, pigs don't roar!
Can a cow be wiggling my latch?
No, cows can't scratch.

Roar, roar
Growl, growl
It's not an owl
I know who it can be
A friendly lion visiting me!

The last book we read was:

After we were done our reading, singing and dancing it was time for craft. This week we made our very own "Jungle Books". 



Materials: 
  • 3 different colors of construction paper
  •  Hole punch
  • Twine
  • Scissors
  •  Animal foam stickers/regular stickers
  •  Crayons

Directions:

1.     Take your three pieces of construction paper and fold them in half. Punch 2 holes along the folded edges.

2.     Take a pair of scissors and cut two 5" long pieces of twine and use them to bind the books together.
3.     Take your stickers and crayons and go wild by making your very own Jungle Book story.



Next week our theme is BUGS! We will be discovering about all sorts of bugs, ranging from ants to butterflies and everything in between. 

Don't forget to bring in your reading logs to be entered to win the weekly prize!

See you next week!