Friday, July 12, 2013

TD's Summer Reading Club Week One - 2s and 3s

Go! Bon Voyage! 





That's the theme of this year's TD Summer Reading Club. Within the Library itself, we're learning about the Wonders of the World! We kicked off the first week of this reading program with Niagara Falls.

Our 2-and-3-year olds learned about Annie Edson Taylor, who was the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel - and survived!




Image courtesy of niagarafrontier.com

First we read a condensed version of "Queen of the Falls", by Chris Van Allsburg, the story of Annie Taylor's experience before and after her trip down the falls.


Then we moved into our waterfall song:

"I'm going down a waterfall,
A waterfall, 
A waterfall. 
I'm going down a waterfall, 
As fast as I can go! 

I will be the first I say, 
The first I say, 
The first I say. 
I will be the first I say, 
To go down all the way! 

It really is a bumpy ride, 
A bumpy ride, 
A bumpy ride. 
I really is a bumpy ride, 
Going down this way! 

In a barrel I am dropping, 
I am dropping, 
I am dropping. 
I a barrel I am dropping, 
Down the waterfall! 

I made it down the waterfall, 
The waterfall, 
The waterfall. 
I made it down the waterfall, 
Safe as safe can be!" 

Next we read, "Hello Ocean", by Pam Muñoz Ryan.


For a craft, we made our own Niagara Falls.


We used:
- paper plates cut in a horseshoe shape
- blue construction paper cut in a horseshoe shape
- brown construction paper cut out into boats
- yellow and pink paper cut out into fish
- blue streamers cut into strips of water

Some of the kids glued their fish onto the water coming over the edge, some drew eyes on their fish. Some decorated the back of their waterfalls with markers provided.

Make sure you bring your reading logs in each week to get a sticker and enter into our weekly prize draw. We draw for prizes Fridays at 4:00! 

Next week we will explore the Eiffel Tower!