Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentines Day

Valentines
Age 2’s and 3’s, 4’s and 5’s
Duration 45 minutes


1. Storytime – Welcome Song
Storytime is starting, starting, starting.
Storytime is starting, come and listen to me.

2. Read first story “Red is Best”


3. Poem: A Kiss
There's something in my pocket,
Could it be a moose?
Could it be a train with a bell and a caboose?
Could it be a snake or some sticky glue?
Right here in my pocket is a KISS from me to you! (blow kiss)

4. Read second story “Valentine Mice", “Skidamarink”, “The Ballad of Valentine”, "Mouse's First Valentine", "Will you be my Valenswine?", "Smitten", "Slugs in Love", "Be my valentine", or "The Day it rained valentines".

5. Fingerplay: Valentines

Valentines, valentines how many do you see?
Valentines, valentines count them now with me.
One for father, (hold up thumb)
One for mother (hold up index finger)
One for grandma, too. (hold up middle finger)
One for sister (hold up ring finger)
One for brother (hold up little finger)
And here is one for you! (make heart shape with thumb and index finger)

6. Craft: Bighearted Hello
Craft Materials:
Scissors
Red construction paper, and foam hearts , glitter
Hole punch
Heavy red yarn
glue
40-millimeter googly eyes
Markers
White paper

Cut 1 large heart from paper and 4 smaller foam ones
Punch 4 holes in the large heart and 1 in each of the smaller hearts.
Cut two 12-inch lengths of yarn, then thread each piece in through an armhole and out through a leg hole. Tie on the hands and feet.
Glue on the googly eye, then draw on eyelashes and a smile.
Add glitter .
Write your message on a small piece of the white paper, then glue it to one of the hands.
Suggested messages: I've got my eye on you!