Friday, February 10, 2012

Letter 0


Letter O – Octopus, opposites, ostriches, ocean, owls, oranges and outer space.
2’s and 3’s, 4’s and 5’s
Music:

1.     1.              Storytime – Welcome Song
Storytime is starting, starting, starting.
Storytime is starting, come and listen to me.


3.                   Nursery Rhyme  Flannelboards

Opposite Song
We can do opposites, opposites, opposites.
We can do opposites follow me.
Top and bottom (Point to top of head, then bottom of foot.)
 Front and back (Touch front, then back.) 
 Happy and sad (Make a happy face, then look sad.)
 Left and right (Extend left arm, then right.)
Up and down (Point up and then down.)
LOUD and soft (Shout and whisper.)
Open and shut (Open and close fists.)
 Stand and sit (Stand up and sit down.)
 and put them in your lap! (Put your hands in your lap.

4.     4.              Read second story Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!, I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean or The Tickle -Octopus

5.                   O RIDDLES
I sleep all day and search at night.
I sit in trees and “hoot”.
Who am I? (An owl)
I live in the ocean.
Sometimes I can make a pearl inside my shell.
Who am I? (An oyster)
I live in the ocean
I have 8 legs.
Who am I? (An octopus)
I have long legs and a long neck.
I like to search for food in the sand.
Who am I? (An ostrich)


6.     6.              Read third story Higher! Higher!, Little Owl's Night, Where is the Green Sheep? or Basghetti Spaghetti

7.                   Song: Octopus
An octopus has Eight long arms (Hold up four fingers on each hand)
It lives in the sea, but don't be alarmed (Wave hands back and forth to show no worry)
He squirts out ink (Clap hands), when he is the prey
And grows a new arm when it's torn away.(Hold up arm as high as you can) 

8.                   Craft- Toilet paper roll Octopus
Materials: toilet paper rolls, scissors, googly eyes, glue, markers, paper reinforcements.
Cut eight slits up 2/3rds of way up toilet paper roll. Colour with markers. Curl legs upward. Draw on mouth and glue on googly eyes.