Friday, July 15, 2011

SPLASH! Summer Reading Club: 2-5 Week 1


Beach Vacation
2’s and 3’s, 4’s and 5’s

1.      Storytime – Starting Song





I WIGGLE MY FINGERS

(A Movement Rhyme)
I wiggle my fingers,
I wiggle my toes,
I wiggle my shoulders,
I wiggle my nose.
Now no more wiggles
Are left in me,
So I can sit as still as can be.

2.      Read first story There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Shell”,

3.   Song: PRETTY SHELLS


Tune: "Jingle Bells"
Pretty shells, pretty shells
Laying all around.
What a lovely sight to see
Shells upon the ground.
Pick one up, it's good luck!
Listen to the roar
Of the never ending waves
That beat upon the shore.
-by Jean Warren

OR: SAND
Sand in my swimsuit,
Sand in my hair,
When I go to the beach
Sand gets everywhere!
I wonder, I wonder,
Oh, how can there be
Sand left at the beach
When there's so much on me?
-by Helen H. Moore


4.   Read second story Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach

 
5.  Song: THE WAVES AT THE BEACH
(Tune: “The wheels on the bus”)
The waves at the beach
The waves at the beach go up and down
The crabs at the beach crawl back and forth
Lobsters at the beach go snap, snap, snap
Clams at the beach go open and shut
-by Jean Warren

6. Read third story Miss Rumphius" or "The Boy on the Beach"

9. Crafts: Seashell Imprints
Give each child play-dough and allow them to make imprints

       Supplies
       Play dough
Scissors
Shells
      Plastic baggies (to take them home in)


OR:  Leigh
Materials
   Tissue Paper
   Yarn (long enough to reach around children's necks)
Instructions
Before hand, cut out squares of tissue paper of various colors and use a punch to create a hole through the middle. Then the children can string the paper onto the yarn in order to construct a leigh.