Friday, March 18, 2011

Snakes

Snakes
Age                  2’s and 3’s, 4’s and 5’s
Duration          45 minutes

1.            Storytime – Welcome Song
Storytime is starting, starting, starting.
Storytime is starting, come and listen to me.

 
3.             I Am a Snake  (standing fingerplay activity)
I have no legs. I have no arms. (arms down close to body)
I can take off my skin. (pretend to pull off skin)
I wiggle my tongue. (like this wiggle tongue)
I’m very, very thin.  (hands on ribs, slide them down)
I can open my mouth so wide.  (open mouth)
And eat my dinner whole.  (rub tummy)
I can curl up nice and tight, (squat down low)
Or stretch out like a pole.  (stretch up tall)

Five Lazy Snakes
Down beside the lake,
1 (2,3,4,5) lazy snake (s)
Is (are) sunning on a rock.
Slither, slither, run!
Here comes another one!!
(Continue until all five arrive)
Now I’d better run
Before another one comes!

4.             Read second story Crictor, Snake Hotel, Can I Play, Too?, or Help! A Story of Friendship.

5.             The Garden Snake [fingerplay]
Here comes a bright green garden snake (Right hand, fingers together, make curves)
Making the grass shiver and shake. (Hold up fingers and flutter them)
He raises his head (Raise forearm, wrist bent)
And looks all around, (Turn wrist back and forth.)
Then he slithers away (Slithering motion)
To his hole in the ground. (Hand and arm go through hole made by left hand)

 Silly Slippery Snake (Tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It") 
Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.
Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.
Oh I'd slither across the floor and I'd slip under the door
Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake. 


6.            Snake Bracelet Craft for Kids

What you will need: Card stock, crayons or markers, and tape.
How to make: Print out the pattern onto card stock, color the snakes, cut them out and tape them around your wrist.