Friday, August 19, 2011

SPLASH! Summer Reading Club: 2-5's Week 6

Pond Party!
2-3’s and 4-5’s

1. Finger Play: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
One, two, three, four, five - Once I caught a fish alive.
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten - Then I let it go again.
Why did I let it go?
Because it bit my finger so.
Which finger did it bite?
The little finger on the right

2. Action Song: Five little ducks
Five little ducks went out one day,
Over the hill and far away
Mother duck said: "Quack, quack, quack, quack."
But only four little ducks came back.
(add lyrics)


4. Song: I'm a Little Fishy
(Tune: “I'm a little teapot”)
I'm a little fishy
Watch me swim
Here is my tail
Here is my fin
When I want to have fun with my friends
I wiggle my tail and dive right in


6. Action Song: Five green and speckled frogs
(can be sung with a felt board or puppets)
Five green and speckled frogs Sat on a speckled log Eating some most delicious bugs YYYYUUUUMMMM YYYYUUUUMMMM One jumped into the pool Where it was nice and cool Then there were Four green and speckled frogs GGGGLLLLUUUUBBBB GGGGLLLLUUUUBBBB


8. Craft: Hanging Fish
Supplies:
-Construction paper
-Bits of magazines, coloured papers and aluminum foil cut into circles
-Glue
-Scissors
-Stapler
-Markers
-Hole punch
-Crepe paper streamers (a variety of colours and cut into strips a few inches long)
-Some string or yarn
-Googly eyes
Instructions:
1.      Beforehand, cut circles out of construction paper, tin foil and old books or magazines. Also, print a fish outline (it is simple to either find one on-line or draw one) onto white construction paper. I fit two fish on each piece of construction paper.
2.      The children can each receive a fish outline. Have them colour the tail and the head of their fish. They can also add on googly eyes.
3.      Next, they can cut the outline out.
4.      They can then glue the round pieces of colourful paper onto the body of the fish as its scales.
5.      Have them choose three streamers and either glue or staple these to the backside of the tail.
6.      Use the hole punch to make a hole near the tip of the fish’s nose and tie a piece of string through it to hang the fish by.