Friday, August 6, 2010

Slithery Snakes

2’s and 3’s, 4’s and 5’s

1. Storytime – Starting Song

Walking Through the Jungle (Have children pretend to be the animal seen!)

Walking through the jungle and what did I see? (walk around in circle)

Some green and scaly crocodiles were snapping at me!

Walking through the jungle and what did I see? (walk around in circle)

Some slippery, slimy snakes were hissing at me!

Walking through the jungle and what did I see? (walk around in circle)

Some funny little monkeys were laughing at me!

Walking through the jungle and what did I see? (walk around in circle)

Some great big lions were roaring at me!

Walking through the jungle and what did I see? (walk around in circle)

Some nice quiet children were waiting for me!

(Children sit quietly for next part of program!)


2. Read first story The Last Laugh?or “The Bird, the Monkey and the Snake

3. Finger Play: The Little Snake

Slithering, sliding, slinking (place palms together and make a slithering motion)

Comes the little snake.

In and out goes her tongue,(your tongue should go in and out)

What a great pet it would make

4. Read second story "The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash"

5. Finger Play: A Snake

(Use one arm resting on a table to represent the snake. Make its head by touching thumb

to fingertips).

Down in the grass, curled up in a heap,

Lies a big snake, fast asleep.

When he hears the grasses blow,

He moves his body to and fro (move arm in a slithering motion).

Up and down and in and out,

See him slowly move about.

Now his jaws are open, so

Snap! He’s caught my finger, Oh! (Catch finger with other hand)

6. Read fourth story The Great Snake Escape" or “Crictor

7. Action Rhyme: I am a Snake

I have no legs. I have no arms (arms down close to body)

I wiggle my tongue like this (wiggle tongue)

I can take off my skin (pretend to pull off skin)

I'm very, very thin (hands on ribs, slide them down)

I can open my mouth so wide (open mouth)

And eat my dinner whole (rub tummy)

8. Crafts: Spiral Snake– Beforehand, draw a loose spiral on a paper plate – this will be our snake. The head can either be at the centre of the plate, or on the outside at the start of the spiral; just make a little round head. The child(ren) can then decorate the snake using markers and glitter. The face can be all drawn on, or googly eyes can be used. When it is all decorated, it can be cut out – just cut along the spiral line to finish the snake.

Supplies

-Paper plate

-Markers

-Sparkles

-Glue

-Googly eyes (optional)